J.T.Wien Scarificator or Bleeder
1 in stock
- 18th Century
- This is the same type of bleeder used on George Washington when he fell ill with a cold. Unfortunately, he bled to death as his medical team
tried to get rid of the cold using this method.
• Brass box is 1-1/4″ x 1-5/8″ x 1-1/4″ high; convenient size!
•16 iron blades were held against the arm or neck to bleed the body of germs and illness,
or so it was believed at the time.
•This bleeder is complete and is in working order.
• There is a top nut made in the form of a heart, which sits in a funnel shape going into the
brass box of blades; the nut adjusts the height of the blades that snap out when the
lever is pulled.
• Maker’s mark of an acorn near the upper level.
• Extremely rare to find a 16-blade scarificator or, in fact, any bleeder as complete as this
one is … and still functional!